Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Learning Disabilities

To simulate a learning disability I had to ask people questions and I could not use any words that had "l" or "n" in it. This was really hard for me to figure out a scenario I could do without using "l" or "n". Most questions words have these letters in them, heLp, wiLL, waNt, caN, etc. I was thinking about this activity for days trying to figure out what I could do. Finally I decided to ask someone a questions about where something was and then restate the directions back to them and then ask a questions at a store.

On campus today I stopped a girl walking and said, "Excuse me, where is Birch?" She proceeded to tell me she didn't know because it was her first semester and asked where it was near. I paused and thought about a campus building it was near and then had to double check if it had "n" or "l" in it. I couldn't say the I-Center but I could say the Hart! I told her and then when she could direct me that way I tried to restate the directions back but I messed up and said "left". It was so hard not to use words that had "l" or "n" in them.

For my second option, I went to Walgreen's and asked a lady where the oreos were. She told me the aisle and then I asked how much they cost. She said she didn't know but she could take me there. I felt so bad because I wanted to thank her but I couldn't say thank you so on our walk over I was thinking what I could say and after she showed me I just said, perfect! I felt kind of rude not being able to say thank you or be able to talk to her more.

This was an interesting experience to see how hard it was to come up with things to say that did not include the letters "l" or "n". The simulation helped me notice the long pauses that are needed to think or the drawn out sentences that can occur if someone has a learning disability.

No comments:

Post a Comment