Pages

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Getting Out of the Ruts

Yesterday, I was in a wheelchair for two and a half hours to help me see what those with orthopedic impairments go through on a daily basis. Sadly it was only for two and a half hours so I wasn't able to get a full experience but what I did experience taught me alot.

There were 8 tasks I had to do while being wheelchair bound:
1. Get a drink from the drinking fountain.
2. Go another building on campus and ask for directions/assistance (e.g., Kimball Building information desk).
3. Ride an elevator.
4. Go through a door using the door opener.
5. Go up and down a hill by yourself.
6. Go through a door without using the door opener.
7. Ask for assistance to navigate a tough spot.
8. Go to the restroom, enter a stall, and transfer your body from the wheelchair to the toilet. Reverse the process and return to the wheelchair.

You know how there is a tall and short drinking fountain next to each other. I used to think the short one was for children. Well it serves this purpose too but it is for those individuals in a wheelchair. It was a perfect height to drink. Except I still managed to spill all over myself cause I'm short and clumsy. I am so glad I didn't have to reach up to the tall fountain!

As I rode down the hill to ask a questions at the Kimball Building, a guy came running to help me get down the hill safely. As we talked he told me that he had been in a coma when he was 19 and afterwards had to be in a wheelchair as he recovered. He expressed his understanding to getting around in a wheelchair and how hard it can be. I was amazed at how nice people were as I rode around campus. Many people offered to help push me up the hill and open doors for me. It made me reflect on if I am this considerate to others around me.

Some things that were hard was going down the hill by myself. My wheelchair didn't have brakes which hurt my hands and the speed increased as I went down the hill. Another hard thing was when I went to the bathroom the door was really hard to open and get through on my own without a button. And the handicap stalls are always in the back of the bathroom. Do you know how hard that is to maneuver around people and the small space in the bathroom!? I ended up not using that bathroom because of this. The handicap stall was also tiny!! It was only a few inches bigger than the normal stalls. I ended up finding a handicap single bathroom. That had plenty of room to turn my chair around and attempt to transfer my body to and from the toilet. This was so hard! I ended up giving up and used my legs.

I am a pretty independent person. I realized as people would ask to help me I would feel absolutely helpless. I ended up just talking to them and trying to make conversation. I felt kind of awkward cause all I was doing was just sitting there and I hate not being able to help with things. I felt silly at times how people would serve me.

As I wheeled myself up to the Hinckley Building, one of my wheels go stuck in between the grass and sidewalk going uphill. I could not get it out. So I turned around and asked the people behind me to help me get out of the rut. They ran up and agreed and said, "Of course, we all get in a rut sometimes!" I loved this. No matter our situation we all get in ruts. And it's always nice for someone to help get us out! The biggest thing I learned from this simulation was that I need to be more considerate of those around me and help others who may be in a rut- physically, mentally, emotionally, or spiritually.

2 comments:

  1. Celeste (I can address you by your first name now!), thank you for sharing your experience. I wish every able-bodied person would use a wheelchair just for a short time to see how difficult certain situations can be. I have been in mine for over 30 years, so some of the things you mentioned rarely cause me problems anymore, however, my biggest obstacle is when I do find a bathroom I can maneuver my chair into but the toilet is too low. And as for going up hills, I'm not too proud to ask for a little push!
    Enjoy seeing you on Facebook!
    Your friend,
    Mickie Fowler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I really wish I could have been in the wheelchair for longer than I was so I would be able to better understand the other challenges people face.

      Delete