Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People?

Why do bad things happen to good people? This question has been asked by millions of individuals. What is the purpose of trials? Is there even a purpose to having trials?

Think back in your life. What was the biggest trial you have faced? It could be a job loss, or the loss of a loved one. It could be a trial of faith or a trial that came about from a bad choice you or someone else made. Trials or crisis happen in life. No one is immune to these things. If you are a good person or a bad person or even a mediocre person, trials will come about. 

Take a look at the chinese symbol for crisis. The two symbols that make up crisis are danger and opportunity. I find this outstanding! Crisis and trials are a time of danger and also times of opportunities. For example: a trial of your faith. It is a danger because you may potentially lose your faith but it is an opportunity because you can grow closer to God.

Let's go back to the first question: Why do bad things happen to good people? Trials are a part of life. They are necessary. Not only are they necessary to help us grow and learn but as we go through trials we are able to help others that are going through similar trials. Also, if we didn't have trials or bad times, we would have nothing to compare the good times with. 

Often times, people see trials as a punishment. Like "What did I do to deserve this?" But this is not true. Trials are not punishment. Sometimes they come because of other's poor choices. We all have agency to choose.  

Growing during trials is almost inevitable. There are many opportunities to grow during trials. One of the main things we can do is grow more in humility and understanding. Trials are great learning experiences because we would never otherwise choose to put ourselves in those situations. I would never choose to watch my mother struggle with her MS or choose for my dad to be away for long periods of time while I was in high school. But because of those trials and those difficulties I have learned so much- and those are minor things. 

Overall, trials are a normal part of life. We are all subject to difficulties but it is how we respond to our trials that helps us get the most out of them. Look back at the biggest trial you have faced in your life. Did you learn from it? I bet anything your answer is yes. I know I learned so much from my biggest trial that I would not like to go through that trial again but I am so thankful for the things that I learned from that trial. I would not give that up for anything. I'm sure you can feel similarly to that and if not go back and think about those things you have learned and ask yourself, "Would I have learned those things any other way?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment