Pages

Friday, September 25, 2015

Look How Far We've Come

Did you know how far we have come with special education in the US? You could say it all started with the civil rights movements. There were so many sacrifices of others to get special education. It started as hiding those with disabilities -out of sight out of mind- which led to institutions, then no institutionalization, to mainstreaming, to what we have now, inclusion.

There are still countries today where children with disabilities are still institutionalized! We watched a NBC Dateline about mental institutions in Serbia. I learned a lot watching this video that we have come a long way to help the specific needs of individuals but there is still so much more we can do. As I watched these different clips, I wondered if there is anything I can do to help these individuals in Serbia and the others like them across the world. I want to learn more about this. It will help me in the future as I work with children with disabilities and their parents because it can still be a fight for parents to get the education their child needs when it comes to special education. Many parents get frustrated that their child doesn't get everything the way they hoped for but I am so grateful for what we do have and for how far we have come. 

My peers helped me learn more about other points of view. As we discussed they helped me see just how far we have come and how great it is that we can have all the great opportunities we now have for those with disabilities. We were able to learn a lot from each other as we discussed this video. For those who want to watch this I have included the link below.


2 comments:

  1. Celeste. It's an interesting topic you're discussing, and sensitive to some. Back in the 20's maybe even sooner disabled people were abused in the hospitals they were in. They would be electricuted, put in hot baths then taken from those and put in ice cold rooms with no blankets. The treatment of them were absolutely cruel. When like yousaid the civil rights movemments were happening people started trying to make change for them. I grew up in school's with a lot of mentally a physically disabled people in Claremont. Those kids are some of the most pure and inoccent kinds of people in the world. i personally have a great bond with them. Also growing up with my disabilities which aren't as noticeable but I assure you they are there, I was put in Special Ed classes along side my normal ones. It has definitely had a big impact on me. It has helped me more readily associate with society.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! Talking about disabilities can be a touchy subject. It is so sad to see how people have been treated. It makes me reflect on myself and how I treat those with disabilities. I am so grateful for the resources we have to help those who have disabilities.

      Delete